official site for the city of cordele, ga

To burn properly natural gas must mix with the right amount of air and be ignited by a spark or flame.  When ignited, natural gas produces a blue flame.  An orange flame from a natural gas appliance can tip you off to a possible hazard. The orange color alerts you to improper combustion, which may emit unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.  Check the flame on your range—it should be blue.  If it is not blue, contact a licensed gas professional to inspect, clean or repair your natural gas appliance.

Natural gas appliances should be installed, maintained, and vented by a licensed, professional installer.  Never use the kitchen range as a space heater because it is not a vented appliance.  If you use a gas space heater anywhere in your home, vent it to the outside.  Never sleep in a room with an un-vented gas or kerosene heater, unless specified by the manufacturer.  Have your gas water heater, furnace, and fireplace inspected annually.  Keep the area around your furnace and hot water heater clean and free of debris.  Never store or use flammable substances near gas appliances.  Drain your water heater twice a year to remove sediment that may accumulate in the bottom of the tank.  Keep range and burners clean.  Never let flames “lick” over the sides of cooking pot.

Natural gas is non-toxic (non-poisonous), colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.  The City of Cordele Gas Department add a commercial sulfur compound as an odorant to all natural gas passing through our system.  The odorant, called mercaptan, has a distinct “rotten egg” odor.  Natural gas is always lighter than air, and will rise in a room if allowed to escape from a burner or leaking fitting.  If allowed to leak, natural gas can displace the oxygen in a confined space and may result in asphyxiation.

A faint odor of gas may mean that a pilot light has gone out and should be re-lit; however, a strong odor means you should leave the home at once and call your local utility or emergency personnel from a neighbor’s home.  Do not use your home phone or cell phone near a possible gas leak.  Do not turn any electrical switches on or off or flashlight, because an electric spark could ignite the gas and cause an explosion. Never try to locate a leak yourself – it could be fatal. When in doubt – GET OUT! Let the experts who work for your local gas provider or emergency personnel handle this.

Gas safety is a family affair—teach your family how to recognize a gas leak and what to do when a leak is detected.  Teach small children to stay away from gas burning appliances and to never play on or with pipes leading to appliances or from meters.

Practice safety drills and emergency home evacuation drills. Keep emergency numbers handy and teach young family members how to call for help when needed.



EMERGENCY NUMBERS:
Fire                                       911                                                                        
Police                                    911                                                                        
Medical                                 911                                                                        
Gas Company    229-276-2541 or 911     
                                                  

Hazard Awareness and Prevention: